『漫游』酷论坛>『海外生活』>An English thread, hope every ..

whatever@2002-12-27 09:13

But shaka said that beautiful building just finished two months ago. Maybe you just did not see it yet.
引用

ThunderBird@2002-12-27 15:45

I don't think it's helpful. Say, I've got 7 Chinese girls in my Group, which is only 9 in all! I had to give up using English after classes. Can you believe it? My oral English is so terrible just because of such surroundings! I don't think our English will be improved just by typing some Eng words here. What is more, no body here can correct our grammar or spelling mistakes!
引用

kiasushou@2002-12-27 16:11

引用
最初由 whatever 发布
But shaka said that beautiful building just finished two months ago. Maybe you just did not see it yet.

just finihed two months...no wonder hoho..

i believe the building is built on the filled land..
引用

whatever@2002-12-28 02:11

引用
最初由 ThunderBird 发布
I don't think it's helpful. Say, I've got 7 Chinese girls in my Group, which is only 9 in all! I had to give up using English after classes. Can you believe it? My oral English is so terrible just because of such surroundings! I don't think our English will be improved just by typing some Eng words here. What is more, no body here can correct our grammar or spelling mistakes!

Well, that may be a point. But the more important thing of this thread is a place for pratice. Everybody should not be shy here, nobody will laugh at you, and we can't see each other. And another thing we must use to is think in English, if we can do that or try to do that, no matter we talk or type, we still can improved our English, and I made this thread just hope to give everybody( include me) a chance to pratice.
And you said no body here can correct our grammar or spelling mistakes! Nah, even you talk to the Foreign people, you also can't tell you make a mistake or not. And when a baby is learning speaking, can he or she tell they make a grammar mistake or not? No, however when a bady is learning speaking,they just say it, they just say what they want, that's it, and they don't anything about gramma. And so do us, forget the gramma and the spelling mistakes, just say it, type it , tell or share whatever you want.We must learn the English like the baby learn speaking. That's the most important thing we suppose to do here.
引用

Lizard@2002-12-29 09:25

引用
最初由 ThunderBird 发布

i believe it IS a good suggestion,though it doesnt make 2 much effort....
引用

whatever@2002-12-29 10:08

Well, I don't know how much this thread work. But since I made this thread, I feel I have a place to talk and share something anything time. Everytime I met something happy, funny, or sad, I would like to share with you guys. Maybe this thread doesn't have too much effort, it's a place for us to talk though. Why don't we just enjoy the thread and talk.
引用

Lizard@2002-12-29 11:22

引用
最初由 whatever 发布
Well, I don't know how much this thread work. But since I made this thread, I feel I have a place to talk and share something anything time. Everytime I met something happy, funny, or sad, I would like to share with you guys. Maybe this thread doesn't have too much effort, it's a place for us to talk though. Why don't we just enjoy the thread and talk.

yeh,this is true~
引用

zgundam40@2002-12-29 11:27

I like to speak with english too, by the way I don't know how to type Chinese<== that's the problem, anyways, good to have a thread just for english
引用

myrion@2002-12-29 11:51

that's right. everyone here has his choices to read and type english or not. all we have to do is just sharing our own experiences. of course, it should be all done well under rules:):)
引用

whatever@2002-12-30 09:52

Well,well,well.Back to the question I asked. Did somebody study French or Spainsh here. Please tell me about your experience.
引用

shaka@2002-12-30 10:14

whatever, what exactly do you want to know? I don't study Spanish or French. But I do have several classmates who have been learning French for years. Perhaps you can list some more specific questions here and I will bring them to my classmates. Then I will forward their answers to you. Will that be more helpful?
引用

whatever@2002-12-30 11:00

Well, thanks shaka. Ar....... Is French easy to pronounce? When you study French and English at the same time, is that easy to mess each other? Is French gramma similar to English gramma?Is French hard to study? How can I study French better, if I have nobody to talk with? So far, I just can think these question.
引用

silverpin@2002-12-30 14:16

引用
最初由 myrion 发布
that's right. everyone here has his choices to read and type english or not. all we have to do is just sharing our own experiences. of course, it should be all done well under rules:):)

true~
引用

shaka@2002-12-31 09:08

to whatever,

one of my classmates replied. hehe, i wrote a short email and she replied with a 800-word essay :) so let me just quote parts of the letter which concern you and direct to your questions.

Is French easy to pronounce

french is a lovely language! (hehe, the french claims it's the most beautiful language, though probably chinese is more so to a chinese ;) ---shaka)

actually for a chinese, it could possibly be much easier to pronounce the language as compared to some europeans (esp. the germans) who cannot pronounce certain consonants.

if you are going to pick up french yourself, it could be quite difficult because the pronunciation would be a challenge to learn from books themselves. (i believe if you are going to learn french, you should have a french teacher, right? so this shouldn't be a problem. the teacher will teach you the pronunciation--shaka)

When you study French and English at the same time, is that easy to mess each other?

i'm not sure about learning it concurrently with english though... however, if you do have a good proficiency in english already, then in my opinion, learning french actually helps to improve your english, (probably vocab) because many english words are actually derived from french roots. for example, i never knew the meaning of 'ameliorate' in english until i learnt in french that 'ameliorater' means 'to improve'. In this manner, i believe it did help to strengthen my vocab! (that's very true. though increasingly french is borrowing english words, esp technology-related words. both ways make learning easier. however, my friend is a superb english-speaker but you are still learning,so her situation may not apply to you. you've got to see for yourself ---shaka)

Is French grammar similar to English grammar

however, there are some differences between french and english grammar rules and it does take a bit of adjustment. the most obvious example would probably be that each subject has a gender (masculine or feminine, animate or inanimate. for example, a car is feminine, and a book is masculine. overall though, once one gets over the initial rawness, the language grows on you rather easily and learning each new rule is but an extension of previous knowledge. certainly, a good grasp of english grammar probably helped, because french grammar too, has distinct present, future, past etc tenses.

How can I study French better, if I have nobody to talk with?

You could visit some sites which are very useful with video clips and sound clips, in addition to well-explained grammar guides. i used to vist them but i deleted the links already... just surf around, should be quite easy to find. You can borrow french books from the national library too to read... or find a french pen pal who can correct your stuff... (that's a great idea...looking for french pen pal.---shaka)

---------

that's all. she wrote so long that it takes a while to digest :)
perhaps you should also ask around for opinions on spanish-learning, then you should have a more balanced view on both languages. unfortunately i don't have any spanish-speaking friends and can't be much of help on that.

personally i prefer french because if you know french, you can gain access to a huge library of french literature, which i believe, is richer and more influential than spanish. But Spanish has its practical use, as pointed out by others here, since most Latin America countries speak Spanish.

but you shouldn't place values on language. just choose one you like to learn. that's all. and your main focus should still be english :)
hope you can make an independent decision. people here are just trying to give you some info, not to influence your choice. good luck!
引用

whatever@2002-12-31 10:23

Thanks shaka, and please say thank you to your friend and her 800 word essay. That's help lot. I may think about it. Actually, I ask a lot of my friends(some of them are studying Spanish, some of them are studying French). Well some of them told me Spanish may better for me,because there're a lot of people can speack Spanish here; and some of them told me French may better for me,because Spanish is hard to remember. And a girl told me if I study the Spanish from the best Spanish teacher of our school, then study Spanish, otherwise study French, if I meet the crazy Spanish teacher of our school, then run, as far as you can.
So, Jan. 6 is the first school day of the new semester, I may go talk to our French and Spanish teacher, and I may borrow the easiest French and Spanish book from the teacher and see which one is easier for me .
Thanks again shaka.
引用

«1314151617181920»共53页