『漫游』酷论坛>『海外生活』>An English thread, hope every ..

whatever@2003-04-04 04:01

Well, jingwen it's really happy to know a person like you. Since I came to America, and both my best friend and I were too busy to talk to each other, I haven't talk about my feeling for a long time. I guess Anhui is really different from Canton. Schools, teachers, test, many things are totally different. In Canton, teachers are really care about their students' study, they gave us a lot of homeworks and we always have to take some extra period for studying, even it's not necessary. And the school exam is always easy, but the city exam is really hard. And we don't need to do so much project or research paper, so that we don't even need to go to internet for informations. So, there're lot to learn since I came to America.
I used to be a smart student in elementary school, I had been one of seven president in my elementary school for three years. I was so proud of myself. But gradually, I began to ignore what my teachers said when I went to middle school. However, when I was in the second semester of 8 grade, my head teacher show me how to respect a teacher in anytime. She really do care about her students. She talk to me for half an hour everyday, and I learned a lot from her. My math teacher told me something beforoe I leaved, he said that if I was learning to him in 7 and 8 grade, I could learn much more than I have learned. I felf that I was so a fool.
I have been to Florida of US for one and a half year. And I am a 10 grader now. There're too much things I have to know and learn since I came here, many things are different, and many things that I never meet or do before. And I don't have any Chinese helper, or a helper who can speak Chinese. And my parents don't know English, I have to study and look over many things on my own. Worse thing is here if you can't speak English, or you don't speak it right, many students would not speak with you. So I didn't have any same age friends at the first year. However, because of my head teacher showed me how to be friend with teacher in 8 grade, so every teacher, even the principal is my friend. Because I got the language problem, so that Social studying become very hard to me, even now. Many vocabularies are hard to make sense, because I don't understand their background, the culture of America, and that's why I always try to know the different between China and America. You are older than me, and you got more experience than I do. I can sure that you could help me with the social study.
Well, in 10 grade, everything turn around, my English have improved a lot, I got many friends from different ages. But there're still a lot of things that I should know, and I don't know yet. I will like to share what I know. OK, that's my story.

PS: I am agree with you about we should study hard no matter where we are. And ah... I spelled awful wrong. I am not good at spelling words. And I will like to talk to you more. Do you have AIM, mine is x3Dgame
引用

jingwen@2003-04-04 06:53

I don't have AIM. In fact I don't quite understand what AIM is.I am not good at computer. when I was in China, I am busy with study, so i don't have time to play computer until I go abroad.anyway, we can chat by ICQ/MSN Messenger/e-mail.
I am maybe only one years older than you or the same age with you. I finished tenth grade in China, then I came to Houston last summer holiday.The students in Anhui must study much harder than Cantonese students, because Anhui is a poor province. Because my mother school is a very good school in Anhui, all the students study in this school are chosen by test and their achievement. Everybody is very consciousness. They don't need teacher to ask them to study. And my mother school has enough very very good students to let our teachers feel proud. Every year, my school has couple of students go to Qinghua, Beida. One of my best friend in China is aim to Qinghua now. Our teachers the good students, they care the students who can get top ten rank in province or city in the Gaokao. My mother school has too many students like me, who study but not good at BT math test.Because the other senior high in our city's students may not as good as the students in my mother school, so the test for the whole city is always be a gift and very easy for us.In China, the requirements and standard for students is very different in different in schools. And high school is much harder than middle school. I guess you may only finished 8th in China. When I was in middle school(an emphasis school too), my teachers are very strict to us, they gave us tons of homework to do. Everyday I went to bed in 1 o'clock in the midnight, and get up in 5 o'clock to do my homework.(But my efficiency is not very good too>_<) But high school is totally different, you need to study by yourself, the teacher won't let you to study. They only teach a few things in the class and their class won't have too much homeworks, you need to learn a lot of knowledge at home by yourself by go to book store to buy tons of exercises to do.otherwise, we can say the teachers use the extremely hard tests to let us to study.
My parents don't konw English too, and I don't have too many family members here, not like Cantonese. But I used to study by myself, so I never felt that is a problem. Study is your own thing, you cannot always depend on teachers or helper.
American teachers are much nicer than Chinese teachers. They like kids, so they come to be a teacher at school. I don't think no friends is a big problem. If you are busy with study and your own things, you will forget that. i often contact my best friends in China. I have plenty of friends here, most are forienger, some are Chinese.But I don't like to make friends with Chinese here. I don't like the Chinese students in my school. Most of them are very bad, and they don't like study. So since I came here, I mostly not stay with Chinese. Always stay with Chinese is not good for English progress.
You already have fitted in this society right? Then you will get better, better, better in school and life.
引用

Lizard@2003-04-04 16:31

引用
最初由 jingwen 发布

new subjects is not a problem, I think. if you only can study the subjects which you have learned before, it cannot indicates your ability in study.
you are lucky, middle school in China is easy, and high school get much harder.It also indicates you have been n.america for a long time, four years? I only have been US almost eight months.so sometimes I feel a little bit inadequate, but that's fine.I think study in Canada is easier than in US, because you guys don not need to take SAT-an awful test.

:eek: wait a sec.~how did u calculate? y is four years?! actually i've been in Canada one and half years.that means im in grade 11 now.:D

:o im not saying "new subject is a problem". Maybe we don't have same standard. Since u've been in u.s. 4 only 8months, it's understandable for u to compare the difficulties of education here to that in china,and saying that the high school is easy. yeh,in fact it is easier. But this is just ur personal feeling. If it is easy, why can't most students do well in high school though? The problem is u'r in a much higher level than others( at least in math and sci.) As i m gradually getting involved in this education system, i become part of the regulars. I don't have advantages like u do. So i don't feel easy. :o

New subject is not a problem-TURE~;) . Actually it's the same as the time when we r learning a new subject in china. region is not a big problem at all. No one will say easy to any new subject if he/she doesn't put any effort in it. everyone might stuck during this process(except those gifted students...), and the following is to work harder.--im the one in the process.:)

:( Unfortunately, ppl like me don't have advantage in english/social studies/hisory,either. We are not familiar with the bg here. we don't know a lots about the culture/custom here. we haven't educated here for a long time. These r our weaknesses:mad: . We need time to fill the huge gap up. This is what im concerning right now. It really troubles me.:mad: I have one and half years left in high school,hopefully, it's very very very VERY necessary for me to become a regular student totally. There are lots of things in N.A. i still don't know which i should know. I think it's the hardest time for all immigrants [like me] to confront:rolleyes: ! We r here to start a new life. we have to build everything for our life~.:o :D
p.s. i definitely won't go back to China for living.:cool:
引用

Lizard@2003-04-04 17:41

引用
最初由 jingwen 发布
I was in a province’s emphasis senior high (I don’t know how to say that kind of schools exactly, because America doesn’t have that kind of schools) in China. According to my experience, my mother senior high’s teachers don’t ask us to do a lot of homework, but we give ourselves plenty of “homework” to do. This is the result of competition, and because our school’s tests are extremely hard. If you don’t let yourself to do a lot of exercises, you will fail the tests. Our teachers only teach you, but they ever checked too much homework. Everything is depends on your consciousness. Our teachers never ask us to study. If you don’t want to study hard, that’s fine, the teachers won’t care you. They have enough good students to make them feel proud. And every year my mother school has 99% students in science class and 98% students in liberal arts class go to college or university, so the teachers don’t need to worry about it. The teachers care about the students who are busy with sorts of competitions or going to the national competitors’ group of World Olympic Math/Physics/Chemistry/Biology Competition. I was not a good student in China. I was always in the middle-class. So I never felt very good in the school. Such as all the emphasis schools in China, my mother school very cares about math and science subjects. My mother senior high has 13 classes in one grade, and only two of them are liberal arts class, the other 11 classes are all science classes. So a student who is not good at math will never feel good in my school. I can’t say I like my mother school or not. But the study environment in my mother school is horrible. Everybody is study so hard. If you are not, you will feel very culpable. I am not good at English. I only have been U.S. for a few months. I am not bad at English when I was in China. But I can say up to now, some of my old classmates in China may better than me at grammar. American schools don’t teach students too much grammar.

Well,i know what u meant, caz my junior high school was the same kind of school where u were in. I guess we call it prime school(?!). Even though i was just in grade 9, our scool required us to stay after school for extra studies almost everyday. For instance,i had enrich math class Tuesday after school. i had enrich physics Wednesday after school, enrich chemistry was on Thurday. Finally is friday! but still, i have enrich chinese literary course.T-T and the only school day i didn't have enrich classes was monday, however, we still had to stay after school for the one-week cleanning up...in weekend, we have 4 enrich courses going on satuday:math/physics/chemistry/chinese. We only have one (kinda) free day in a week! that was awful~!~ When i was in grade 9, i felt kinda ok though, maybe i used to live in that enviroment.

Similar to ur school, we had varities of compititions all years. Those competitions seem like set up for testing our skills in our enrich courses. And after every Midterm and finalexam, school clearly told us our ranks in the grade. If teacher/parents found out that our rank went down, and it would be a long story after that. Remember once i was the 8th in my grade and dropped to 5Xth, my teachers and parents gave me a huge pressure. In those days, my teacher talked to me about my marks and rank almost twice per week. Whenever my parents captured the oppotunities, they wouldn't let go...HORRIBLE,eh? I knew that they wouldn't stop unless i jump back to the high rank...i didn't have chances. i got to do it. and i did make it all the way in junior high.

As u mentioned, u had similar assignments in china,too. My situation is different. I was in Shenzhen. In our junior high, we didn't have those assignments for studied subjects.Therefore, unlike here, we didn't use computers for studies a lots.(or maybe the situation has been changed now,i dunno.)Basically i used computer for internet and online games. Do u know the Stoneage, i was so in it.(same as mah friends) Only in summer and winter holiday, we always had big projects to do. Those projects not only cost our time and vigor, but also cost a lot of money..><~PAINFUL MEMORIES. While in school days, we had many activities, such as Literacy week, Arts week, Sprots week, English week, Chorus week, Spring week...anyhow i can't count all of'em now. We were very busy every week. We had to care about too much things, both studies and activities,caz our school's goal was to develop student in all different fields. I thank mah teachers and mah junior high school and parents so much, they all helped me while i was trying so hard to keep mahself in gradeA. They really helped me to get prepare to go to another country. I believe that it was mah good record helps me to get into this new enviroment quickly.

And now, Im pretty much happy with everything now. I have friends here, i have friends in mah background country. I m no longer in such learning environment.and I m trying hard to reach a point where i was on in china. I believe my capability. Of course, i have to spend much more time than others.
引用

Lizard@2003-04-04 18:16

引用
最初由 jingwen 发布

My parents don't konw English too, and I don't have too many family members here, not like Cantonese. But I used to study by myself, so I never felt that is a problem. Study is your own thing, you cannot always depend on teachers or helper.
American teachers are much nicer than Chinese teachers. They like kids, so they come to be a teacher at school. I don't think no friends is a big problem. If you are busy with study and your own things, you will forget that. i often contact my best friends in China. I have plenty of friends here, most are forienger, some are Chinese.But I don't like to make friends with Chinese here. I don't like the Chinese students in my school. Most of them are very bad, and they don't like study. So since I came here, I mostly not stay with Chinese. Always stay with Chinese is not good for English progress.
You already have fitted in this society right? Then you will get better, better, better in school and life.

hehe~ seem like whatever , u and me are in the same kind of families. My parents don't know english ,either. And
引用
and I don't have too many family members here
---me either~ in fact, i don't have relatives here. I have a elder sister, but she is in university, so she is not at home so often. When i started to go to elementary school all the way 'til now, i haven't physically gotten too many helps from my family member. Similarly, i have to improve mah english skill without helps in families. Well, there are some. Mah lil' sister talks to me in English sometimes. and without mah elder sister, i m the one who has obligations to deal with all problems of my family that concern about English. I was frustrated once when i had been here for the first several months, because i had to do all the stuffs that i didn't really how to do though. Like receiving the phones. I was not capable of understanding everything the speakers said. And I didn't know how to deal with them. I got scolded by my father. I was so angry at the time. He didn't even try see things in mah point of view.:mad: :mad: :mad: nevertheless..i think this stress forces me to improve myself more actively.

The other point is I think friends are IMPORTANT. If u just concentrate in studying, and not have any activities, u won't be happy. U might feel isolated from the outer world. See~u need friends, although they r in china. u feel good when u have friends. If u do have friends here, u'll get in this environment much easier. I dont mean intentionally get into it. U'll just be in it gradually.

there are some Chinese ppl in mah school which are so rude.!! idon't appreciate what they do in school! They talk loudly in chinese everywhere, even in library. The chinese they use contain many rude words. I don't know why they seem can't behave themselves properly! On the other hand, the rest of chinses are not bad. They are nice,2. When i was first in my high school, I didn't know anything, a lots of friends helped me^^. I enjoy having friends~:D
引用

whatever@2003-04-05 02:46

Well, I did not often play the computer before I came to US either. That's why I had so much trouble, when I did my first project here. But now, I am sort of good at computer, I could use many software and I can find most things I need. And ah...do you have MSN messenger, mine is daodanhou@msn.com welcome to contact me.
Yesterday I saw your personal information. You are right, we are the same age, and actually I am 5 months older than you. :D But when we talked, I feel like you are older than me, maybe because you went to school one year earlier than me, so that you had more experiences than I did. :) And I just finish 8 grade when I was in China. (you think logistically, why you are not good at math?)
And you are right about the different of study between Anhui and Canton. Canton is a big city, especially, when Panyu and Huadu became a district of Canton. And Canton have everything, and there're too much fun that can attract you, especially the game rooms or the computer rooms. Many students in Canton are not study hard. It's really easy to become a slacker in Canton, and that's why I press myself to study more courses. I studyed piano, and sketch on Saturday, and I took an extra literature and English class on Sunday when I was in Canton. So that I don't have time to go to game room, or waste my time for shopping. And it's really useful. Even there're many students good at drawing and piano in Canton. But there're not that much studnets good at it here. So now is my show off time, I always have some drawing show on the district art show. And I could played some music for chorus. That's really cool. And I like the summer here, unlike in Canton, if you want to take the summer courses you got to pay a lot of money. Here, your school will pay for you, so I am going to take some courses during summer.
And I have already fitted in here. But I am agree Lizard, friends are really important. Yes, it's we are busy in study, you may forget those thing. But something, when you are walking around in the school, and you saw other students get together, talking happily, and you are just alone. That's always make me feel isolate from the others in 9 grade. And that's why everytime people ask me, what did I feel scare when I came to US. My answer always, " no, I felt boring. Really boring. I always just sit there and reading the text book or doing homework. I didn't talk much." I was so quiet when I was in 9 grade. I felt that I was not who I was used to be. Well, now I feel much better, I have many friends to talk with, I don't need to walk around in the school alone. Althrough, it's really hard to talk about my feeling with my foreign friends, because they can't understand our background and culture, it's still cool to have firends. And I like the Chinese in my school, even all of them were borned in America, and they just can speak little bit Chinese(and actually they speak incorrectly), but they study hard, and they never say bad words. And one of them is really smart, she was the president of my grade last year, and she always get straight A.
引用

jingwen@2003-04-05 02:50

引用
最初由 Lizard 发布

:eek: wait a sec.~how did u calculate? y is four years?! actually i've been in Canada one and half years.that means im in grade 11 now.:D

引用
最初由 Lizard 发布

i know the high school in china is hard. high scool students have tons of homeworks and enormous stress....@_@
I completed grade 9 in china. when i was first in canada, all the math and science subjects are fairly easy to me, caz i learned them before,and i had different kinds of contests in those subjects in china.So the level was quiet different from the ppl here.
nevertheless, im taking grade12 calculas, i didn't learn anything about it. so it's total new subject....

you said you are in 12 grade last time
PS.calculas? calculus, you have made this mistake two times.
引用

whatever@2003-04-05 03:11

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
最初由 Lizard 发布
As u mentioned, u had similar assignments in china,too. My situation is different. I was in Shenzhen. In our junior high, we didn't have those assignments for studied subjects.Therefore, unlike here, we didn't use computers for studies a lots.(or maybe the situation has been changed now,i dunno.)Basically i used computer for internet and online games. Do u know the Stoneage, i was so in it.(same as mah friends) Only in summer and winter holiday, we always had big projects to do. Those projects not only cost our time and vigor, but also cost a lot of money..><~PAINFUL MEMORIES. While in school days, we had many activities, such as Literacy week, Arts week, Sprots week, English week, Chorus week, Spring week...anyhow i can't count all of'em now. We were very busy every week. We had to care about too much things, both studies and activities,caz our school's goal was to develop student in all different fields. I thank mah teachers and mah junior high school and parents so much, they all helped me while i was trying so hard to keep mahself in gradeA. They really helped me to get prepare to go to another country. I believe that it was mah good record helps me to get into this new enviroment quickly.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, you reminded me somethings. I wonder why in America, students never need to do the cleaning works in school. All the cleaning works are done by dustmans. If the dustmans didn't clean something, then that thing will keep dirty. Just like the pianoes in our chorus room, there's lot of dust on it. So I blame my chorus teacher. And then he said," Why should I care something like my butt?"(He's really fool to say that, when I ask him,"But you still need to use your butt to sit, if your butt is dirty or there's something gross on it, why can you sit comfortable?" Then he can't say anything.) I think many Americans don't like to make their hands dirty(but actually you could clean your hands, that's one thing that I can't make sence).
And I love those activities in China. It's fun. I love the Sport week, Art week, Music week, and drama week. I always win something for my class. But ah... here, school don't have those activities week, so sometime I sort of miss those activities. They're fun.
引用

Lizard@2003-04-05 04:59

引用
最初由 jingwen 发布

you said you are in 12 grade last time
PS.calculas? calculus, you have made this mistake two times.

Oh..u must misunderstand my sentence..I said i was taking Grade 12 calculus, that doesn't mean i m in grade 12. I took grade 11 math last semester, so i can take grade 12 math this semester.furthermore, shouldn't there be two and half years if i were in grade 12?
p.s.thx~~thx fo r ur correction. i didn't really pay attention on this word. i dunno why, whenever i want to type calculus, the C-A-L-C-U-L-A-S just pops out~..thx so much! caz it will be an unforgivable mistakes if i make triple times.
引用

Lizard@2003-04-05 05:08

To whatever: i've added u into my msn contact list^^ my name is " V.C. u r da one♡!(L)..calculas.-_-''"
well~yeh~ maybe i m one grade higher than u, my thoughts are a little bit mature than urs.
I feel so ture wwhen i m looking at ur last paragraph.~FRIENDS ARE INPORTANT!
引用

jingwen@2003-04-05 06:36

引用
最初由 Lizard 发布

Oh..u must misunderstand my sentence..I said i was taking Grade 12 calculus, that doesn't mean i m in grade 12. I took grade 11 math last semester, so i can take grade 12 math this semester.furthermore, shouldn't there be two and half years if i were in grade 12?
p.s.thx~~thx fo r ur correction. i didn't really pay attention on this word. i dunno why, whenever i want to type calculus, the C-A-L-C-U-L-A-S just pops out~..thx so much! caz it will be an unforgivable mistakes if i make triple times.
In my current school, we never said grade11 math or grade 12 math. We only say the name of the course, like Algebra, Geometry, Calculus. So I misunderstood your words.
引用

jingwen@2003-04-05 06:38

引用
最初由 whatever 发布
Yesterday I saw your personal information. You are right, we are the same age, and actually I am 5 months older than you. :D But when we talked, I feel like you are older than me, maybe because you went to school one year earlier than me, so that you had more experiences than I did. :) And I just finish 8 grade when I was in China. (you think logistically, why you are not good at math?)
I was good at math in elementary school and middle school. I have won several awards in math competition before. But senior high is much harder than junior high, they are totally different. You only finished 8th grade in China, you don’t know. 7th and 8th grade are really easy compare to the higher grades.When I was 7th and 8th grade, I was in the top10 rank, but in senior high I don’t.
引用

jingwen@2003-04-05 06:41

引用
最初由 whatever 发布
I like the summer here, unlike in Canton, if you want to take the summer courses you got to pay a lot of money. Here, your school will pay for you, so I am going to take some courses during summer.
Florida’s schools are so good. If attend summer school in my current school, you need to pay $100 for each credit.
引用

jingwen@2003-04-05 06:51

引用
最初由 Lizard 发布
To whatever: i've added u into my msn contact list^^ my name is " V.C. u r da one♡!(L)..calculas.-_-''"
well~yeh~ maybe i m one grade higher than u, my thoughts are a little bit mature than urs.
I feel so ture wwhen i m looking at ur last paragraph.~FRIENDS ARE INPORTANT!

me too
but don't you think net friends are not really?
引用

jingwen@2003-04-06 08:02

I was in the prime class in a prime junior high (my mother senior high doesn’t have prime class, but have a class which is founded for preparing sorts of competitions). When I was in junior high, everyone in the prime class must to attend every competition, no options. They like the regular tests for us. In junior high, we went to school in 7 o’clock in the morning, and go back home after 7pm or later. Extra classes are no any strange for the students in Hefei. And Saturday is a usual school day for us. It’s so common. Nobody may complain on these. We already have been accustomed to this kind of things long time ago. I remember, in the summer holiday of 8th grade, we went to school seven days a week for one whole month. We actually didn’t have computer, health, music, and art… classes in junior high. We had countable this kind of nonsense (for Zhongkao) classes each semester in 7th and 8th grade, maybe two or three, major subjects’ teachers borrowed the other time of these classes. But in 9th grade, we only have the classes that may appear in the tests on our schedules. My best friends in China who are 11th grade now, wrote to me, and told me that they have to go to school seven days a week this school year, Sunday is the day for competition preparing classes, and their classes are over in 9 o’clock or nine half in the evening everyday (they eat at school).
My senior high has a lot of activities during the school year, but my junior high doesn’t. My mother senior high has Hip-hop competition, Karaoke, imitate show (?), CS competition (! ^_^), speech competition, and some activities about anime & comic. We have many clubs in the school. They’re about computer, astronomy, music, art, comics. And our sports department often holds many soccer and basketball games after school. I like these activities too. I often take part in them. I join several clubs – comics, astronomy, and music. My senior high is very different from my junior high. My junior high is only for study. But my senior high’s principals allow us to hold those activities, which are no business with study also because most of the students in my senior high are very conscious.
引用

«2223242526272829»共53页