『漫游』酷论坛>『海外生活』>[新闻]Google to scan famous ..

[新闻]Google to scan famous libraries

Harmatia@2004-12-15 00:09

this sounds really cool~~~~

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4094271.stm

The libraries of five of the world's most important academic institutions are to be digitised by Google. Scanned pages from books in the public domain will then be made available for search and reading online.

The full libraries of Michigan and Stanford universities, as well as archives at Harvard, Oxford and the New York Public Library are included.

Online pages from scanned books will not have adverts but will have links to online store Amazon, Google said.

Lengthy project

"The goal of the project is to unlock the wealth of information that is offline and bring it online," said Susan Wojcicki, director of product management at Google.

This is the day the world changes

John Wilkin, University of Michigan
There will also be links to public libraries so that the books can be borrowed. Google will not be paid for providing for the links.

It will take six years to digitise the full collection at Michigan, which contains seven million volumes.

Users will only have access to extracts and bibliographies of copyrighted works.

The New York library is allowing Google to include a small portion of books no longer covered by copyright.

Thousands of Oxford's rare books will be made available online
Harvard is limiting its participation to 40,000 books, while Oxford wants Google to scan books originally published in the 19th Century and held in the Bodleian Library.

A spokeswoman for Oxford University said the digitised books would include novels, poetry, political tracts and art books.

"Important works that are out of print or only available in a few libraries around the world will be made available to everyone," she said.

About one million books will be scanned by Google, less than 15% of the total collection held in the Bodleian.

"We hope that Oxford's contribution to this project will be of scholarly use, as well as general interest, to people around the world," said Reg Carr, director of Oxford University Library Services.

Impact on libraries

"It's a significant opportunity to bring our material to the rest of the world," said Paul LeClerc, president of the New York Public Library.

"It could solve an old problem: If people can't get to us, how can we get to them?"

"This is the day the world changes," said John Wilkin, a University of Michigan librarian working with Google.

"It will be disruptive because some people will worry that this is the beginning of the end of libraries.

"But this is something we have to do to revitalise the profession and make it more meaningful."
引用

kakashi@2004-12-15 02:04

Wow...it sounds really good.
引用

Lizard@2004-12-15 02:46

omg, this is amazing~~
but how to get the resources??
type in keywords n' u get the book?/
引用

jingwen@2004-12-15 03:33

is it all free? on-line database??
引用

Re: [新闻]Google to scan famous libraries

shaman@2004-12-15 18:08

引用
最初由 Harmatia 发布
Users will only have access to extracts and bibliographies of copyrighted works.

you dont get something for nothing people
引用

Harmatia@2004-12-15 22:44

You took that sentence out of context la....ft

And either way, you are still getting something for nothing.
引用

红舞鞋@2004-12-15 23:02

昨天新闻上看到了。我还是觉得这免费资源不会持久
引用

shaman@2004-12-16 16:01

引用
最初由 Harmatia 发布
You took that sentence out of context la....ft

And either way, you are still getting something for nothing.

But you cant seriously expect that to be like what it says. Out of context, maybe, but that is the point.
And getting something for nothing? Really? Think about it pal.
引用

Arael@2004-12-16 16:32

引用
最初由 Lizard 发布
omg, this is amazing~~
but how to get the resources??
type in keywords n' u get the book?/

Should be the same as a google search, such as:

http://www.google.com/search?num=50&hl=en&lr=&c2coff=1&client=firefox-a&q=book+site%3Aprint.google.com+anime&btnG=Search

btw, there's also google scholar for finding research papers:
http://scholar.google.com/

引用
最初由 红舞鞋 发布
昨天新闻上看到了。我还是觉得这免费资源不会持久

應該會比世間大部分事物持久:)
而且有pratically永遠的可能.
引用

shaman@2004-12-16 17:20

拭目以待吧﹐不過我個人而言﹐都不怎麼用
引用

Harmatia@2004-12-16 23:32

引用
最初由 shaman 发布
And getting something for nothing? Really? Think about it pal.

Geez, are you paying Google a dime? Sure you are using your time and your internet service, but it's doubtful you wouldn't be using your time and internet service otherwise.
引用

myrion@2004-12-17 00:23

引用
最初由 Arael 发布
btw, there's also google scholar for finding research papers:
http://scholar.google.com/

i already tried it not long ago. though the beta ver., it is still amazing...not only it digests the citation but provides some pdf links. however the ieee, cochrane, acm etc. dealed with google only contributes indexes at the moment, i think those institutes even schools invested a lot of money on it will not face the threat in the short term.

btw, will the citation alert function be used in latest scholar search like news google? if yes, i will look forward to it:):)

引用
最初由 jingwen 发布
is it all free? on-line database??

it will be totally free to access the old enough parts not under copyright; otherwise those material libraries will get obsolesced like the article reported.
引用

Ammy@2004-12-17 03:51

wow! I never knew that scholar.google.com exists. Thanks for sharing. I like the idea of scanning books. Makes my life easier when I have to go researching stuff for research papers.
Wish i knew about this link earlier before my finals ended .
引用

basara@2004-12-17 11:42

呵呵,这算是义举吗??支持~~~~~
引用

jsan@2004-12-22 01:17

That sounds great!
引用

«12»共2页