『漫游』酷论坛>『海外生活』>[新闻]Arnie to sell Califor ..

[新闻]Arnie to sell California to Japan (no, not that kind of sell)

Harmatia@2004-11-11 03:47

http://edition.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/asiapcf/11/10/scwarzenegger.reut/index.html

Arnie to sell California to Japan
Wednesday, November 10, 2004
Posted: 1522 GMT (2322 HKT)

TOKYO, Japan (Reuters) -- California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger arrived in Japan on Wednesday on a trade mission that some think could also be aimed at showing off his diplomatic prowess as a prelude to a possible presidential campaign in 2008.

The Hollywood superstar and former Mr Universe has long been popular in Japan -- so much so that a justice minister once let him into the country without a passport.

Asked at the time why he had made an exception for the star of such films as "Terminator," then Justice Minister Shozaburo Nakamura replied: "If I hadn't said yes, I would have been killed by my wife and daughter."

On Wednesday, Schwarzenegger, who went through customs with other less famous visitors, smiled warmly and waved to a crowd of fans who welcomed him at the airport.

"Up until now, I've always come to promote my movies and the Special Olympics," Schwarzenegger said, as some people screamed his Japanese nick-name, "Shuwa-chan" and others snapped his photo with their mobile phones.

"But this time, I'm representing the people of California," added Schwarzenegger, who in the past has made commercials for Japanese products from health drinks to noodles.

Schwarzenegger and his delegation of more than 50 business people want to convince Japan that the time is ripe to deepen economic ties.

Ties between the two economies are already tight, as a handy fact sheet provided by the governor's office attests.

Japan is already California's biggest foreign investor and second-largest trading partner after Mexico.

Japanese firms employ a quarter of all Californians who work for foreign-owned companies and 590,000 Japanese visited California in 2003, although that was a 50 percent drop in Japanese travel from the mid-to-late 1990s.

Among the companies on Schwarzenegger's radar screen is Toyota Motor Corp.

Media reports have said he wants the world's most profitable car maker to consider using its California plant to manufacture the popular Prius hybrid petrol and electricity-powered car.

The Austrian-born fiscal conservative and socially moderate Republican may have more than mere business on his mind.

Friends have said he would ultimately like to be president and he has expressed support for a change to the U.S. constitution to allow foreign-born Americans to be president.

Schwarzenegger will get a chance to show his diplomatic credentials during the four-day trip when he meets Japanese Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi on Friday.
引用

Lizard@2004-11-11 04:54

這叫明星效應嗎?
引用

Re: [新闻]Arnie to sell California to Japan (no, not that kind of sell)

obviw@2004-11-11 06:54

引用
最初由 Harmatia 发布

Friends have said he would ultimately like to be president and he has expressed support for a change to the U.S. constitution to allow foreign-born Americans to be president.

我对这个比较感兴趣。。。
引用

无极之天@2004-11-11 10:17

天,这么多的e文,呵呵。
引用

zhi336@2004-11-11 11:04

不知是好是坏,不发表意见.
引用

Re: Re: [新闻]Arnie to sell California to Japan (no, not that kind of sell)

Harmatia@2004-11-12 03:38

引用
最初由 obviw 发布
我对这个比较感兴趣。。。

他想而已
哪里容易这么pass constitutional amendments的
引用

霸王哆啦@2004-11-12 05:20

This title is....kuso
引用

Harmatia@2004-11-12 05:43

引用
最初由 霸王哆啦 发布
This title is....kuso

The beauty of English. :D
引用

霸王哆啦@2004-11-12 05:55

I remember that nipponese once wangt to buy the whole america.
引用

Re: Re: Re: [新闻]Arnie to sell California to Japan (no, not that kind of sell)

obviw@2004-11-12 06:28

引用
最初由 Harmatia 发布

他想而已
哪里容易这么pass constitutional amendments的
公民之间的不平等性这个问题总会有人提出来得, 只是很多人会认为是多此一举而已。。。但每个人的一点努力都是好的
引用

Lizard@2004-11-12 07:01

引用
最初由 霸王哆啦 发布
I remember that nipponese once wangt to buy the whole america.
i wonder if that will ever happen in the future:rolleyes:
引用

kgb2000@2004-11-12 10:37

不太可能能改CONSTITUTION的了
引用

basara@2004-11-12 11:39

被题目骗了进来........
我倒真不知道外国出生的不能做总统..............
引用

Ammy@2004-11-12 12:12

very interestiing article...anyhow..I like watching Terminator....no wonder the justice minister let him in without a passport ;)
引用

banxginji@2004-11-14 01:58

The title of the article really is misleading :p
引用

«12»共2页