『漫游』酷论坛>『海外生活』>professors who don't believe ..

professors who don't believe in giving out A's

Harmatia@2003-10-10 05:23

Like many people, I am applying to grad schools and law school, so the GPA is of extreme importance to me. And...

I got an A- for my Japanese literature paper I handed in last week.

I am pissed off as hell.

Not because I got an A-....not that by itself, but rather because nobody in class got an A. Because the professor doesn't believe in give out A's. (She said a B+ is "good!".)

I mean, WTF?
引用

Arael@2003-10-10 05:37

She's a new prof?
If she do this all the time... few people will be willing to take her classes.

I guess if the class is small enough, like <10, then it's okay for a
prof to not giving A's. Otherwise, it's not very fair.

Well, but it's just the essay grade? Maybe she will still give A's for the final grade?
引用

Harmatia@2003-10-10 05:48

She's not even a real prof...a post doc. Her classes are really fun and engaging, but the grading is just horrible!

The class is in fact very popular, it was supposed to be capped at 15 people but we ended up having 25. Some of us are even graduate students in Asian Studies.

And it's not just the essay grade but the course grade overall too. My friend had her last semester, and she only got an A- too even though the professor really really liked her work and her as a person.

>_<
引用

ThunderBird@2003-10-10 06:13

不给A是因为那个POST DOC想让她的学生知道她比你们好的很多啊~故意贬低你们来抬高她的身价?又或者是让你们知道什么叫做“谦虚”?

抬头看天花板时发现一只拇指大的蜘蛛。。。。。WTH。。。。。
引用

seiyafan@2003-10-10 06:28

My condolence.
引用

dmd216@2003-10-10 08:09

There are quite a few professors in my University do the same thing.

One of them say this "If I give a student an A, that means that student is smarter than me. There's no way that a student is better than me."

Another one saying this "When I was your age, my professor never gave an A. She said there is no need to give As. B is reasonable grade for a student who wants to learn. I just follow her path."

The third one just make the lecture way too difficult that most of the students drop out. This way the head of the department will think that she's really doing her job.
引用

seiyafan@2003-10-10 10:08

It's no surprise to find A$$holes in a university, even among professors.
引用

Harmatia@2003-10-10 12:02

The thing is, she is actually very nice as a person. People love her even if she doesn't give out A's. All my friends in that class are happy with their A-'s and B+'s. >_<
引用

lcp@2003-10-10 12:07

Are all of you Studying in USA , Canada or Australia ?

Why sounds a bit strange ?
引用

emb422@2003-10-10 12:17

It's understandable. All professors have their own rule and their own opionion on grading scales. After all, "A"s should be given to only about 5 to 10 percent of a class... so, deal with it.
引用

Harmatia@2003-10-10 12:22

引用
最初由 emb422 发布
It's understandable. All professors have their own rule and their own opionion on grading scales. After all, "A"s should be given to only about 5 to 10 percent of a class... so, deal with it.

Eh....I'd like to point out that 0% of my class received an A. Sadly, grade deflation as opposed to grade inflation is an issue at my school.
引用

meteor007@2003-10-10 13:22

This is so different from my school. here, the instructor must give certian percentage students A, certain for B, ect. If s/he dare to give all F, s/he is getting trouble, and will receive probation.
引用

Harmatia@2003-10-10 13:34

引用
最初由 meteor007 发布
This is so different from my school. here, the instructor must give certian percentage students A, certain for B, ect. If s/he dare to give all F, s/he is getting trouble, and will receive probation.

That's called a curve grading system. Sometimes it's used here....but it's up to the discretion of the individual instructors.
引用

free2flyaway@2003-10-10 17:40

引用
最初由 Harmatia 发布

That's called a curve grading system. Sometimes it's used here....but it's up to the discretion of the individual instructors.

that's what they are doing in australia
引用

meteor007@2003-10-11 01:11

引用
最初由 Harmatia 发布

actually, it is said it is really up to the instrutors, however, it s/he does not curve, i guess many his/her students would screw up the courses, and would be getting F something.
引用

«12»共2页