『漫游』酷论坛>『海外生活』>[HELp!]Questions @bout Busine ..

[HELp!]Questions @bout Business Management

Lizard@2004-01-21 08:46

There are so many steams under management..
- Accounting
- Economic Data Analysis
- Finance
- Human Resource Management
- International Business
- Marketing
- Public Management
- Strategic Management

who can give me a brief description for each division?
thnx...........!!!!!!!
引用

koerner@2004-01-21 09:14

BCom Options--Accounting

A business without an accountant is like a hockey team without a goalie: you can play but you sure can't win. Accountants have the expertise to analyze and interpret financial information, to solve complex problems, and to design corporate strategies that help businesses grow and compete. Working alongside marketing, finance, and IT professionals, accountants develop a broad-based view of business. If you have strong problem solving and math skills, and can communicate effectively, investigate a career in accounting. You'll have the opportunity to participate in a five-year co-op program that will prepare you for a number of career options such as financial analyst, auditor and tax consultant. Many graduates choose to continue their training to earn professional designations as Chartered Accountants (CA), Certified General Accountants (CGA), and Certified Management Accountants (CMA).

BCom Options--Finance

Dollars and sense: that's the field of finance. The Finance specialization will prepare you to manage money and solve strategic finance problems. If you are inquisitive, adaptable, and mathematically inclined, consider a career in this highly competitive profession. Finance managers prepare financial reports, manage corporate cash–flow, direct corporate growth, and develop strategies to control financial risks. UBC Finance graduates are highly regarded, and hold positions around the world as global traders, investment bankers, securities dealers, and financial analysts in both business and government.

BCom Options--Human Resources Management
(formerly Industrial Relations Management)

Human resource professionals spark the people power that drives organizations. If you are a creative communicator with excellent interpersonal skills, you may be interested in a career in this fast–growing field. You'll study the culture of organizations, the development of human resources, change management, hiring and salary policies, and union/management relations. In a career such as human resources manager, labour negotiator, or organizational development consultant, you will help to create a motivated and productive workforce for employers in virtually all fields, and at all levels.
引用

koerner@2004-01-21 09:16

cont'd
BCom Options--International Business

Businesses around the world are becoming more interconnected: these days it's not unusual to find a broker in London selling a Latin American company's stock to a buyer in Japan. If you want to play out your career on a global stage, you'll choose the International Business specialization. Your studies will prepare you to do business in a particular region of the world. Over the course of the program, you'll combine languages, regional studies and courses in geography, politics and history with your core business studies in one of the other Commerce specializations. By participating in the faculty's Study Abroad & Exchange programs, you can expand your regional expertise and improve your language skills at 30 allied schools around the world.

BCom Options--Marketing

Virtually every enterprise, whether a home–based business, non-profit society, or major corporation, requires a marketing plan. As a marketing professional, you'll help organizations of all types to better meet the needs of their customers through effective design, distribution, pricing, packaging, and promotion of goods and services. With your inquisitive nature, analytical skills, innovative thinking and ability to communicate, you'll find a choice of careers ranging from market research to public relations to product management and beyond.

我们系里的部分简介^_^
新年快乐
引用

Bobbysoft@2004-01-23 01:21

I am a student major in Business Administration. In my eyes, accounting and marketing are most useful in investment and money earning.
Something About Accounting:
A Simple Definition of Accounting.
Accounting is a broad and dynamic discipline which concentrates on the analysis of how organisations use their resources and the provision of information about the use of these resources to help people make decisions. Business organisations interact with various groups in society, whether they are shareholders, employees, customers, suppliers, competitors, governments or the communities in which they operate. Each is effected economically by the strategies, operations and financial performance of the business.

Accounting (and accountants) seek to improve the economic wealth and welfare of these groups by identifying, analysing and communicating relevant information to assist them to make decisions.

For example, accountants might be asked to advise managers on how much a product or service costs to provide, find ways to organise the business more efficiently and effectively, determine the profit the business is making, or recommend whether or not to invest in a new business.

Something About Marketing:

"Because let’s face it, friends, as marketers we are in the business of mindfully structuring appearances and messages to create an attractive experience that is calculated to persuade." Says Chris Maher in marketingprofs. So marketing is meant to persuade people(commonly known as consumers) through a message.

This precise misconception creates the entire advertising bandwagon, the rich media supporters, flash for websites managers and give me something cool designers. The view that marketing is meant to send messages and convince a customer. The view that marketing starts with your product and ends with a customer purchase. The view that marketing is really sales.

All the above is false and misleading. The real purpose of marketing is to "be a voice for the customer". The profession of marketing starts with the customer and ends at creating the right product for the need. Of course this process is iterative since finding the groups of customer with exact needs is not an easy tasks. But with this view the whole focus of marketing function shifts from advertising focused delivery of appearances and messages to customer service and product design. Opening up channels to get customer feedback, analyzing the feedback to come out with product ideas, talking to customers and listening to them becomes a priority for marketers. Hence web is not viewed by them as a delivery channel for messages but as a medium for conversations. Rich media is not attractive for marketers but the message boards are.
引用

Blanche@2004-01-23 05:51

蜥蜴是要选专业了么?
这些专业其实不同的学校开设的course还是有一定区别的。
蜥蜴可以先考虑自己的兴趣和想上的学校,然后去学校询问专业课程设置和授课方式。:)
ME是学管理的,不过也是今年9月才选专业呢。
引用

Lizard@2004-01-23 05:52

thank ~~~you~~koerner n bobby^^
引用

蓝发夹@2004-01-23 08:14

楼上的几个已经给出专业答案了,我就说点个人观点。在读预科时我学过ACCOUNTING,也就是会计,本意上就是算PROFIT或者LOSS。TURNOVER减去成本就是利润/损失。然后再是算平衡,以这个公式ASSETS-LIABILITIES=CAPITAL来算平衡。当然这是最基本的,当中有很多细节,我学会计时都要背那些条条款款该放在哪里,DEBIT SIDE还是CREDIT SIDE。掌握了其中的窍门后,做起来就会很容易。我的经验就是第一次摆平了没事,如果第一次没平的话,抓破头皮都BALANCE不了= =

上学期我学了INTRODUCTION TO FINANCE,稍微知道一点FINANCE。这学期要学ENTREPRENEURSHIP(也不知道是什么= =)FINANCE简单说就是分析。主要分两个,第一,公司是否表现良好。如果发现有损失,FINANCE就要求经理们分析原因,然后提出相关建议。方法有很多,基本用PROFITABILITY RATIOS(EG, ARE THERE MORE GOODS SOLD WITH LOW COSTS,ETC), ACTIVITY RAITION(EG,DO DETORS PAY THEIR DETBS QUICKLY?), LIQUIDITY RATIOS(EG,DOES THE FIRM HAVE ENOUGH CASH OR MONEY IN THE COMPANY?), AND CAPITAL GEARING(EG,HAS THE FIRM GOT A SERIOUS PROBLEM OF HAVING DEBTS?)与前几年的数据来做比较。第二,如果公司要RAISE A NEW FINANCE/PROJECT,应该用什么方法。例如发行股票或者向银行贷款,哪种方法更适合等等。其中有很多公式计算WHETHER OR NOT PROJECT IS PROFITABLE。eg, the net present value and internal rate of return and payback period method, etc.

ECONOMIC DATA ANALYSIS,我不太清楚,但我猜就是分析企业控制范围以外的数据,比如银行贷款利率。这只是我的猜测。

MANAGEMENT就是如何实行了。当分析完,出了新方案后,由经理们来实行方案。如果有不对就快指正吧!

INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS可以去问浆糊大叔,他的SUBJECT就是这个。应该比我更清楚。
引用

myrion@2004-01-23 12:59

sorry for late replying@_@

accounting is primarily concerned with the use of information to support managers in making financial decisions.in my opinion, it is a relatively gut course.:):) it is divided into 3 areas(or more? i am not sure:p:p):financial accounting, management accounting, and taxation.

economic data analysis is analyzing the data like inflation, employment rate, or the gross domestic product etc. that the government releases at a interval during the year. i cannot describe the details any more coz there is no program in my school:):)

finance deals with the worldwide capital market where financial assets are created and traded. this area emphasizes money and is concerned with corporate financial practices. actually bird mentions a part of this area and besides finance also addresses the entire management of financial institutions.
btw my part-time is correlated to this field:):)

human resource management focuses on people and on efforts to advance in the quality of organization. to tell the truth, i do not think it's useful unless u get the position as a administrator.:p:p

international business should be inquired of 浆糊 as bird said:):)

marketing is critical to the success of any corporate. it provides a comprehensive viewpoint of the basic concepts, techniques, and tools for developing strategies.~~

there is no public management program in my school, too. i guess it would be related to the government, policies, legal environment.

strategic management is mostly setting measurable objectives, valuating performance, and making corrective adjustments. consequently it attributes to the responsibilities of the top level in any organization.:):)

actually i do not think a under student needs to take these courses as major. the above gets much useful information already so that i simply restrengthen my points.:p:p
引用

myrion@2004-01-23 14:39

btw, the management courses in different school r much the same. however they make different focuses, analyses and approaches.:):)
引用