『漫游』酷论坛>『海外生活』>[求助]GRE issue 作文两篇

[求助]GRE issue 作文两篇

JanusWang@2004-02-05 04:17

topic1: "The arts (painting, music, literature, etc.) reveal the otherwise hidden ideas and impulses of a society."

topic1: "Rituals and ceremonies help define a culture. Without them, societies or groups of people have a diminished sense of who they are."

discuss the issue from any perspective(s) you wish, so long as you provide relevant reasons and examples to explain and support your views.

I have no idea about the topic like this, so who can help me?

I know nearly everyone here are very busy, so compendium is ok!

thanks a lot!
引用

seiyafan@2004-02-05 05:00

这是关于第一个topic

我大一的时候搞过一个社会学的research,题目是调查如何提高minority students在美国小学的数学成绩。导师的idea是hispanic和black对beats很敏感,我们就用beats的software到附近的一个小学去教那里4,5年级的孩子们简单的分数运算。后来我们组用Flash做了一个drum beats的program来达到同样的目的。我们导师还写过一本书,内容是关于在非洲的人的发型。他到非洲考察过,发现很多有趣的现象。人们的头发扎成几十条小辫子然后再把它们编起来。形成的图案是非常有科学性的,在数学里叫做fractals。他研究的目的就是发明一种办法用那些人自己的文明来教他们科学的知识,这样他们就可以看到学知识的目的---更好的理解自己民族的文化。
引用

JanusWang@2004-02-05 05:25

引用
最初由 seiyafan 发布
这是关于第一个topic

我大一的时候搞过一个社会学的research,题目是调查如何提高minority students在美国小学的数学成绩。导师的idea是hispanic和black对beats很敏感,我们就用beats的software到附近的一个小学去教那里4,5年级的孩子们简单的分数运算。后来我们组用Flash做了一个drum beats的program来达到同样的目的。我们导师还写过一本书,内容是关于在非洲的人的发型。他到非洲考察过,发现很多有趣的现象。人们的头发扎成几十条小辫子然后再把它们编起来。形成的图案是非常有科学性的,在数学里叫做fractals。他研究的目的就是发明一种办法用那些人自己的文明来教他们科学的知识,这样他们就可以看到学知识的目的---更好的理解自己民族的文化。

看了这个我只想哭!真的!
中国的学生和美国的学生的中学教育是不同的。美国很多学生觉得作文很好写,因为他们中学时代看的,写的,接触的比我们多很多很多,这样类型的东西他们也写过thousands of times了。唉。

不过他们4、5年级还要靠这么具体形象化的手段学数学到是让我惊讶不已,这个好像是我们幼儿园,最多一年级的老师做的事情。

中西方文化差异!
引用

Harmatia@2004-02-05 05:31

第一个问题还真是有些BT啊-_-

第二个,你可以就自身的经历谈谈“西风东渐”,比如说中国人不过七夕过情人节了,结婚不穿红裳倒穿婚纱了,等等等。你认为这些逝去的传统和仪式是对“Chinese”的认知和认同是有害的呢还是无所谓的?
引用

Harmatia@2004-02-05 05:36

引用
最初由 JanusWang 发布

看了这个我只想哭!真的!
中国的学生和美国的学生的中学教育是不同的。美国很多学生觉得作文很好写,因为他们中学时代看的,写的,接触的比我们多很多很多,这样类型的东西他们也写过thousands of times了。唉。

I've met plenty of American students who can't write if their lives depended on it. They have little idea as to how to write logically and persuasively. Aside from that, their well-roundedness tend to be superficial.
引用

JanusWang@2004-02-05 05:41

引用
最初由 Harmatia 发布
第一个问题还真是有些BT啊-_-

第二个,你可以就自身的经历谈谈“西风东渐”,比如说中国人不过七夕过情人节了,结婚不穿红裳倒穿婚纱了,等等等。你认为这些逝去的传统和仪式是对“Chinese”的认知和认同是有害的呢还是无所谓的?

一个文科生都觉得BT,我一个工科生就死得更惨了。
还要是二选一,我的原则是,看到topic有art,宗教的就立刻放弃,不过如果两个题目都有我就死了。

第二个。呵呵,中文好说,英文难说阿。不过你的建议真的是一个好的tips!
引用

Re: [求助]GRE issue 作文两篇

aaabbbccc@2004-02-05 05:43

引用
最初由 JanusWang 发布
topic1: "The arts (painting, music, literature, etc.) reveal the otherwise hidden ideas and impulses of a society."

topic1: "Rituals and ceremonies help define a culture. Without them, societies or groups of people have a diminished sense of who they are."

discuss the issue from any perspective(s) you wish, so long as you provide relevant reasons and examples to explain and support your views.

I have no idea about the topic like this, so who can help me?

I know nearly everyone here are very busy, so compendium is ok!

thanks a lot!

first one:
arts is kind of expression of one's idea/feeling. it always carries something from the period/culture the author lives. ie. rock and roll wont originate from east.

second one:
from my understanding, ppl do need some recognition from other ppl. a culture need a lot ppl to form and one way to gether a lot ppl is let them do the same thing together.(and ppl normally wont criticise their own action.)
引用

Re: Re: [求助]GRE issue 作文两篇

JanusWang@2004-02-05 05:47

引用
最初由 aaabbbccc 发布

first one:
arts is kind of expression of one's idea/feeling. it always carries something from the period/culture the author lives. ie. rock and roll wont originate from east.

second one:
from my understanding, ppl do need some recognition from other ppl. a culture need a lot ppl to form and one way to gether a lot ppl is let them do the same thing together.(and ppl normally wont criticise their own action.)

唉,文章要500个左右的,一点点的idea实在是死人。
不过我决定把大家的idea mix一下,hoho,人多力量大!
引用

Harmatia@2004-02-05 05:53

引用
最初由 JanusWang 发布

一个文科生都觉得BT,我一个工科生就死得更惨了。
还要是二选一,我的原则是,看到topic有art,宗教的就立刻放弃,不过如果两个题目都有我就死了。

第二个。呵呵,中文好说,英文难说阿。不过你的建议真的是一个好的tips!

其实TOPIC本身不是最主要的,太泛泛而然了才要人命。
引用

JanusWang@2004-02-05 06:16

引用
最初由 Harmatia 发布

其实TOPIC本身不是最主要的,太泛泛而然了才要人命。

是呀,ETS的issue就是很泛,让你无从入手,而且一说到art的绝对泛,所以我就会死,所以为了不死,我就不写那个。

其实上次我运气挺好的,那个issue topic虽然是art的一部分,不过具体到了文学,所以就好了很多。虽然对文学知道得不多,不过童话,传说和纪实文学到都是看过的,也就能瞎说几句了。
引用

jsan@2004-02-06 02:53

Topic one

Associate art period with different historic times. For example, in Victorian time it is very conservative because the Queen was that way. There were almost no nude mainstream art works. Even tables can’t have legs they had limbs. But at the same time strip shows, peep shows, and other ‘sexual art forms’ are very popular, not publicly. This shows the hidden impulse of people back them, which is not very different from what is today.
引用